Seravo has a strong background in Linux and other open-source software. We are an active member of the open-source community, both in Finland and abroad, and have participated in developing various open-source projects.
We have been involved in
- Providing support to Linux users.
- Contributing to and translating the WordPress core.
- Publishing WordPress plugins.
- Participating in the WordPress community as sponsors, speakers, organizers, and participants. Seravo has participated in and sponsored meetups in five different cities in Finland and sponsored and participated in every Finnish WordCamp so far. Seravo also sponsors and participates in similar events abroad.
- Developing a wide range of other open-source software. You can find code by our staff around the world in applications such as the Linux kernel, Docker/Moby, Nginx, MariaDB, AppArmor, GraphicMagic, Entr, Redis, Debian, Ubuntu, Helpy, wp-cli, and more.
- Contributing to the MariaDB development, as well as hosting the MariaDB.org website.
- The Finnish Centre for Open Systems and Solutions (COSS) as a member.
- Speaking at and sponsoring Mindtrek, an international conference dedicated to open technologies.
- Supporting Finnish coding and quality as a member of Code from Finland.
By choosing Seravo, our customers will also support the development and success of open source software.
We have also made financial contributions and provided volunteer services to support numerous open-source projects and events such as:
Moreover, we support a Finnish coding club for children, and Seravo’s President and CEO Otto Kekäläinen is also a chairman of the board of Fuugi’s Foundation which grants donations to Finnish open source and data projects each year.
Open Source and WordPress
Since 2014 Seravo has focused on building a premium hosting and upkeep platform for WordPress websites. As the most popular content management system in the world, WordPress is a great example of the evolution, development and business potential of open-source software.
We have taken part in the WordPress community by publishing our own WordPress plugins, translating the system and being actively involved in the local meetups and WordCamps.
In 2019 we have been strongly involved in organizing the first-ever Nordic WordCamp in Helsinki that took place in early March. Seravo was a gold sponsor for the event, two members of our staff were in the organizing team volunteering and several others were participating in the event as a contribution to the community of WordPress.
We also attended and sponsored WordCamp Europe 2019 in Berlin during midsummer. The event was the single largest WordCamp ever held, with over 3000 tickets sold and more than 2700 attendees present during the event. We met tons of new people, contributed to the community during contributor day and all-in-all had an amazing time.
Will we see you in Porto for WordCamp Europe 2020?
We are constantly working towards developing WordPress in different possible ways. We have sponsored a WordPress Deployer service which is separate from the WP core but available for everyone.
Deployer is a tiny web service that allows WordPress plugin developers to do their development on GitHub and automatically publishes the changes to WordPress.org Plugin Directory.
No more need to waste time figuring out the Subversion version control system. Just tag a new version on GitHub and it will be released on WordPress.org.
Help us develop our service!
Many components regarding our service are published and completely open for everyone. Our customers are welcome to participate in developing for example our WordPress project base, Seravo Plugin or Seravo’s developer documentation.
What is Open Source?
Open source means software that can be used, changed and distributed by anyone and for any purpose. Open source software is often developed in a collaborative manner by communities that consist of professionals.
Using open source is often more cost efficient than closed source alternatives – by choosing the open option one also avoids vendor locks. There are currently more than 200 000 software programs released as Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS), WordPress being one of them. We help our clients utilise this platform.
Seravo’s Github account presents all the open software made and published by Seravo.
Events we’ve helped happen
An important part of participating in the open source community is to help run events as an organizer, sponsor or speaker. Here is a partial list of events we’ve helped take place by providing contents by giving a presentation or funding by sponsorship:
- WP Tampere Meetup December 2014
- WordCamp Finland 2015
- MindTrek 2015
- WP Tampere Meetup December 2015
- WordCamp Finland 2016
- Mindtrek 2016
- WordCamp Stockholm 2016
- DigitalTre Meetup 2016
- WordCamp Manchester 2016
- WP Norrköping Meetup August 2016
- WP Tampere Meetup February 2016
- WP Jyväskylä Meetup March 2017
- WP Stockholm Meetup March 2017
- WordCamp Helsinki 2017
- Mindtrek 2017
- WordCamp Copenhagen 2017
- WP Turku Meetup September 2017
- WP Helsinki Meetup November 2017
- WP Seinäjoki Meetup November 2017
- WordCamp Athens 2017
- WP Turku Meetup February 2017
- WordCamp Stockholm 2017
- WordCamp Europe 2017 (Paris)
- WordCamp Europe 2018 (Belgrade)
- WordCamp Jyväskylä 2018
- WordCamp Barcelona 2018
- Mindtrek 2018
- WP Oulu Meetup December 2018
- WP Jyväskylä Meetup September 2018
- WP Tampere Meetup October 2018
- WordCamp Turku 2018
- WordCamp Nordic 2019
- WP Tallinn Meetup April 2019
- WP Tampere Meetup December 2019
- WP Oulu Meetup December 2019
- WP Helsinki Meetup October 2019
- WP Turku Meetup October 2019
- WordCamp Stuttgart 2019
- WP Berlin Meetup May 2019
- WordCamp Europe 2020 (Online)
- WordCamp Tampere 2020